Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: SCSI tape drive recommendation

To: Aclug discussion <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: SCSI tape drive recommendation
From: Thomas Wallis <wallis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 19:44:23 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Ryan Claycamp wrote:

> I tried to send this yesterday afternoon, but it bounced.  I will try
> again and hope it gets through.
>
> My company needs a SCSI tape drive, since our old one died.  It should
> store at least 10 GB, although our server space might grow soon.  Does
> anyone have some suggestions for a good SCSI tape drive?  The server is
> running Linux.  I am assuming that this is the best way to backup data.
> Is it?

        Dear Ryan:

        I use for the most part HP 4mm DAT/DDS tape drives.  I have had
some initial trouble with our new HP DAT24 (12/24G) drive, but those seem
to have gone away with a new SCSI controller and active termination on
both ends (I am using an Adaptec 2940 controller now, seems to work fine).
My other HP tape drive is rock solid (an older model).   These type of
drives have been on the market for a long time now, and are available in
many different capacities.

                                Hope this helps,

                                Tom Wallis

> Ryan
> --
> Visit the Guernsey Aviation web page - http://www.guernseyaviation.com/

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed here are my own and not those of WSU.

EMAIL address:  wallis@xxxxxxxxxxx    wallis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx