Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: what is a good firewall for desktop linux cpu

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: what is a good firewall for desktop linux cpu
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 07:57:12 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 4 Feb 2000, Michael Holmes wrote:

> Can anybody recommend something easy to mount for a simple
> home linux desktop box?  I use netscape as my browser, but am
> open to better suggestions.

You want something you can physically insert between your computer
and the wall?

ipchains would be a lot simpler. You want to see a firewall in
action?
'sudo /sbin/ipchains -P input REJECT'
'sudo /sbin/ipchains -P input ALLOW' to revert back to insecurity
:)

You'll, uh, want to add in rules to allow stuff back in (www,
email, ?).  My firewall presentation might but up on the aclug
site somewhere. If not, look at www.mindsec.com. I've had much
success with it.

-jeff
--
Avoid cliches like the plague.  They're a dime a dozen.