Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: odd shell question

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: odd shell question
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 07:30:26 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Tom Hull wrote:

> i don't know what these programs are supposed to do (which
> might be helpful in sorting out the problem).

ssh-agent sets up a socket for ssh-add to talk to. ssh-add adds
authentication so that when you want to go ssh somewhere,
ssh-agent can respond for you.

> my ssh-agent(1) man page shows an example that uses eval.

will give it a try.

> > The problem with the manpage's suggestion is: on login, bash gets
> > to the 'exec' line and hangs (it runs ssh-agent -- bash --login),
> > but I never get a prompt back.
>
> that's what exec does. if exec doesn't fail, your shell is gone.
> login should run when ssh-agent exits.

right, but I was expecting ssh-agent to run "bash --login" (it's
parameter).

> again, this is correct. your shell can't trace anything after the
> exec, because it doesn't exist any more.

I was a little unclear; I simply put a "set -x" at the top of
.bash_login so I could see what commands were getting run.
'ssh-agent...' does get executed, but nothing happens after that.
Will continue experimenting today with strace.

Thanks for the ideas :)
-jeff
--
The CDC are reporting a record outbreak of illness as the flu sweeps the
country. What are the effects of the recent epidemic?