Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: voice modem in linux?

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: voice modem in linux?
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 14:32:50 -0600

I use (or at least have used) a simple program named spk. The version
that I use is not the newest version, but I tried the newer one and I
didn't like it. I don't think that the software is being maintained at
all now. I have always wanted to rip the code apart and rewrite it,
but have never had the time. Anyway, it works fine for me with a USR
modem as an aswering machine. It does have some other features
too. One of the coolest features, and the reason that I use it is that
you can link it you your ppp startup script. You configure it with a 4
digit code. When you are away from home you can call your number, and
as the outgoing message is playing you can enter the 4 digit code and
hang up. It will then start a ppp session to your ISP, which allows
you to then telnet into your machine or whatever. The code was written
for USR modems, but they say that it is possible to make it work on a
Rockwell based modem (I have never tried it).

Anyway, I have the code at:

ftp://ftp.southwind.net/users/s/ssaner/bin/spk-0.1.6.tar.gz

On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 02:39:18AM -0600, glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> -- On 11 Jan, Dale W Hodge wrote:
> > I've had vgetty (mgetty+voice) running in the past. It worked okay until
> > my voice modem started garbling the recordings.  I was running a  USR
> > sportster voice.  The only bad things were that it was hard to tell if you
> > had a voice message waiting for you, and no way to easily retrieve a
> > message remotely. But it did work as advertised.
>
> basically, all i want is a simple answering machine...  ya don't pick
> up the phone, they leave a message...  nothing fancy...  : ^ )  and
> anything has to be better than none at all! : ^ )
>
> any webpage links for information on vgetty?
>
> jesse
>
> <<<Linux lloydix 2.2.13 #8 Wed Dec 22 02:31:05 CST 1999 i586 unknown>>>
>
> Wait a minute, Marge.  I saw "Mrs. Doubtfire."  This is a man in drag!
>
>               -- Homer Simpson
>                  Simpsoncalifragilisticexpiala(annoyed grunt)cious

Steven Saner                            SouthWind Internet Access, Inc.
ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                    Systems/Network Administrator
http://www2.southwind.net/~ssaner       http://www.southwind.net
                                        263-7963 Wichita  (800)525-7963