Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Distro Recomendation

To: "Bob Bonifield" <augur@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Distro Recomendation
From: jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 23:04:07 -0500

hi Bob,

Any dist should be fine for this purpose.  Masq uses standard kernel drivers
and userspace components, so you will be fine anywhere.

wondering if there is a distro that you guys would suggest more than that?
Also, what, if any,

Well, I suggest Debin for people with more Linux/Unix experience.  It is a bit
more robust with package management and more stable in general.  But, it
doesn't yet have graphical control panels and like tools.

development essentials do I need to install if I'm looking to setup the box?  I
was under the belief that you need them all along with the kernel source so you
an compile misc. drivers and applications here and there, but I'm wondering if
that is truly the fact.  Thanks in advance.
>-----

Your distro may already inckude all the drivers you require, compiled inti the
jernel or as modules, so you may not need the dev environment at all.
--
John Goerzen
wirelessly remote (Palm Vx)

<<Sent Wirelessly using OmniSky>>