Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: setting up new computer

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: setting up new computer
From: Bob_Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 16:41:14 +0000

John Reinke wrote:

> >put the cd in the drive and turn it on.
>
> I hadn't thought of that - PCs will do that automatically?
>
> Okay, assuming that works, I'll need to format the hard drive. I've seen it
> many times in many places, but I don't remember the reasoning behind it -
> how many partitions should I have, ideally, for a computer that will be a
> network server, workstation, and possibly a web/mail server on the net?

Minimum is most likely 2 partitions.  One for swap and another that
holds everything else.

There may be reasons for having more partitions... Some folks like to
have some of the scratch partitions seperate...

I personally run 4 partitions plus one for swap...

"swap"  256 Meg
/      1024 Meg  (Growable)
/usr   3072 Meg  (Growable but not over 4 Gig)
/tmp    300 Meg
/boot   500 Meg  (Keep this the FIRST partition on the drive!)

I keep /tmp off on it's own so some error in a program that creates
large temp files won't fill up the drive... I try to keep /usr sized
large enough to hold any software I might want to install (it usually
goes into /usr), and I put /boot down low and keep all my kernels there
so they are below the 1024 Cylinder LILO limit...

I put the rest on /, but you might want to reserve a few Gig for future
use...

As to how this is accomplshed by Red Hat Install, just use Disk Druid..
It's straight foreward...

I think that there is a "workstation" install option that bypasses all
this... I'm not sure what it does with partitions though...

--
      -=  Bob =-
Hey.. This is my mail and I charge for SPAM I receive...