Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: FW: InternetWeek Newsletter - Dec. 10

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: rec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: FW: InternetWeek Newsletter - Dec. 10
From: "Clint A. Brubakken" <cabrubak@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 14:10:28 -0600 (CST)

Not exactly how it happened.

Kangaroos were added for the fun of it, and the bug was noted right away
not infront of a group of americans. Also the firing code wasn't finished
so the Kangaroos, fired the same thing as the Stinger Units: Multi-Colored
Beach Balls

checkout
http://www.snopes.com/spoons/faxlore/kangaroo.htm
for the full story

On Fri, 10 Dec 1999, Dale W Hodge wrote:

> You Gotta read the Kangaroo Alert piece!  Dang Funny!!
>
> Kangaroo Alert! The following item comes from Australia's Defense
> Science and Technology Organization and wire reports:
>
> "The reuse of object-oriented code has caused tactical headaches for
> Australia's armed forces. As virtual reality simulators assume larger
> roles in helicopter training, programmers have gone to great lengths
> to increase the realism of their scenarios, including detailed
> landscapes and--in one case--herds of kangaroos (since disturbed
> animals might give away a helicopter's position).
>
> "The head of the Defense Science and Technology Organization's Land
> Operations/Simulation division reportedly instructed developers to
> model the local marsupials' movements and reactions to helicopters.
> Being efficient programmers, the programmers simply reappropriated
> some code originally used to model infantry detachment reactions under
> the same stimuli, changed the mapped icon from a soldier to a kangaroo,
> and increased the figures' speed of movement.
>
> "Eager to demonstrate their flying skills for some visiting American
> pilots, hotshot Australian pilots buzzed the virtual kangaroos in low
> flight. The kangaroos scattered, as predicted, and the visiting
> Americans nodded appreciatively--then did a double-take as the
> kangaroos reappeared from behind a hill and launched a barrage of
> Stinger missiles at the hapless helicopter. Apparently, the programmers
> had forgotten to remove that part of the infantry coding.
>
> "Simulator supervisors report that pilots from that point onward have
> strictly avoided kangaroos, just as they were meant to."
> Got a pet peeve, industry view or humorous observation about our
> industry? E-mail it to us at stopbits@xxxxxxx!

Clint Brubakken
Developer, Computer Science Services Group, LLC
Dictator-for-Life Air Capital Linux Users Group
Wichita, KS
cabrubak@xxxxxxx
---
Love isn't hopeless.  Look, maybe I'm no expert on
the subject, but there was one time I got it right.

                --Homer Simpson
                  Another Simpson's Clip Show