Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: Terminology

To: "'kulua-l@xxxxxxxxx'" <kulua-l@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "'aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Terminology
From: "L. Adrian Griffis" <adrian@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 19:19:38 -0600 (EST)

On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, Ryan Rupert wrote:
> My apologies (where applicable) for a message sent from MS Outlook:
>
> Can anyone give me a URL to any site with a useful glossary of terms
> covering Linux and the like?
> I have checked out many HOW-TO's and other online resources to no avail.
> I.e Query for a formal definition of KDE or GNOME and the term is "not
> available".
>
> Also, a newbie question using lpr and lpd as an example.
>
> What is the (8) or (1) when a HOW-TO talks about lpd(8) or lpr(1)?

It refers to the "volume" number in the man pages.  There is, for
example, a mount(2) function call which is distinct from (although
functionally related to) the mount(1s) command.  It is common
within the man pages to reference other man pages this way, and
it is also common outside the man pages to use this notation as
a clue that this object is the subject of a man page, somewhere,
even if is is not always necessary to know which volume contains
the page in question.

Adrian