Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: Monitor settings for X

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Monitor settings for X
From: Bob_Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 14:04:54 +0000

bert,

Thanks for the help..

For all who are interasted, I figured out the problem..  Those dang
probe programs where locking up my video card, which was very bad, very
bad...  But this was ONLY during Red Hat's "kickstart" procedure..  What
was throwing me was that I could manually run Xconfigurator and it would
work great.. I'd get things working at 1024x768 every time..  But when I
translated this into a kickstart file, the machine would lock up, or the
probe programs would fail and I'd be running 640x480...

The proper way to setup the monitor is to put the proper --hsync and
--vsync on Xconfigurator's command line.  Which in my case turned out to
be --hsync "31.5,48.5" and --vsync "50-70" (being very consertive).

I have not investigated what XF86Config would need, as I'm trying to
keep this as simple for the installers as possible...  They are in
another state, and I don't want to spend too much time on the phone with
them explaining hwo to install X on 50 machines.

Of course... I'd still love to know how to convert my montior specs to
valid video timings, but I think it's simply a function of resolutions
and horz frequencies...

--
      -=  Bob =-
Hey.. This is my mail and I charge for SPAM I receive...

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s
-- Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature