Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1999:
[aclug-L] U.S., China sign WTO pact ; Impasse on West Bank prevents

To: TEXTQUICKNEWS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] U.S., China sign WTO pact ; Impasse on West Bank prevents handover
From: HeadlineNewsMail@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 07:30:18 -0500

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
HEADLINE NEWS MAIL
from CNN.com
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
=> Journey through a thousand years of discovery, mystery, and imagination...
=> Millennium: The Sixteenth Century; Century of the Compass
=> Airs this Sunday, 10 p.m. ET/PT, Only on CNN
=> Experience Millennium on-line @ http://CNN.com/1000
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
Top stories as of: Monday, 15 Nov 99, 07:30:01 AM EST

TOP STORY--
.....U.S., China sign WTO pact
.....Impasse on West Bank prevents handover

WORLD NEWS--
.....Impasse on West Bank prevents handover
.....U.S., China sign WTO pact
.....Turks flee quake-stricken area as toll mounts
.....Ex-Premier Sharif's associates plead not guilty

U.S. NEWS--
.....U.S., China sign WTO pact
.....First findings from  voice recorder inconclusive
.....Jesse Jackson leads protest march in Illinois
.....Two U.S. aircrew killed in Persian Gulf crash

BUSINESS FROM CNNFN--
.....Wall Street in waiting game
.....Gates outlines vision of Net-based computing
.....Hyundai wins $22 billion deal
.....Hitachi cuts forecast

SPORTS FROM CNN/SI--
.....Buffalo trounces Miami 23-3
.....Jarrett secures Yates' first Winston Cup title
.....Lady Vols fall 69-64 to Louisiana Tech
.....Campbell claims 1-stroke Johnnie Walker victory

Also ...
.....POLITICS from AllPolitics
.....SCIENCE and TECHNOLOGY
.....SHOWBIZ
.....Your local weather forecast is at http://CNN.com/WEATHER/
.....Today's CNN Interactive Almanac is at http://CNN.com/almanac/daily/
.....Check the U.V. & Beach Report at http://CNN.com/WEATHER/uv.report/
.....Get involved with Chat and Message boards http://cnn.com/chat

Check out these special features in our In-depth section:

At 2000: The millennium supersite
http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/1999/at2000

Visions of China
http://www.cnn.com/china

Crystalball: China's political future
http://cnn.com/SPECIALS/1999/china.50/50.beyond/political.overview/

Insurgency on the Internet: A look at hacking
http://www.cnn.com/hackers

The 20th Century: 100 years of history  ... online
http://cnn.com/100

# Subscribe to "Special Delivery" for a weekly e-mail update #
#    of CNN Interactive features and in-depth coverage:      #
#               http://CNN.com/SPECIALS/mail                 #

The full, updated version of Headline News is at http://CNN.com/QUICKNEWS/

~~~~~~~~~~~
TOP STORY
~~~~~~~~~~~

> U.S., CHINA SIGN WTO PACT

U.S. and Chinese officials signed a market-opening pact Monday paving the way
for China's entry into the World Trade Organization. The pact capped six days
of intense and difficult discussions between U.S. Trade Representative Charlene
Barshefsky and Shi Guangsheng, China's trade minister. Barshefsky talked with
Chinese negotiators for nearly five hours Monday morning, then met Chinese
President Jiang Zemin during the afternoon.

Chinese leaders pushed for deal in weekend talks
.... http://cnn.com/ASIANOW/east/9911/15/china.wto.03/
> IMPASSE ON WEST BANK PREVENTS HANDOVER

Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak and Palestinian President Yasser Arafat
failed to resolve a dispute holding up Israel's scheduled handover of more West
Bank land on Monday, and Israel's army says it won't leave the territory as
planned. Israeli military officials said no handover would take place Monday,
but added that "anything is still possible" as talks continued Monday morning.
Both sides have been locked in a dispute over details of the land involved.

Negotiators continue talks Monday
.... http://cnn.com/WORLD/meast/9911/15/mideast.peace.01/index.html

~~~~~~~~~~~
WORLD NEWS
~~~~~~~~~~~

> IMPASSE ON WEST BANK PREVENTS HANDOVER

Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak and Palestinian President Yasser Arafat
failed to resolve a dispute holding up Israel's scheduled handover of more West
Bank land on Monday, and Israel's army says it won't leave the territory as
planned. Israeli military officials said no handover would take place Monday,
but added that "anything is still possible" as talks continued Monday morning.
Both sides have been locked in a dispute over details of the land involved.

Negotiators continue talks Monday
.... http://cnn.com/WORLD/meast/9911/15/mideast.peace.01/index.html

> U.S., CHINA SIGN WTO PACT

U.S. and Chinese officials signed a market-opening pact Monday paving the way
for China's entry into the World Trade Organization. The pact capped six days
of intense and difficult discussions between U.S. Trade Representative Charlene
Barshefsky and Shi Guangsheng, China's trade minister. Barshefsky talked with
Chinese negotiators for nearly five hours Monday morning, then met Chinese
President Jiang Zemin during the afternoon.

Chinese leaders pushed for deal in weekend talks
.... http://cnn.com/ASIANOW/east/9911/15/china.wto.03/

> TURKS FLEE QUAKE-STRICKEN AREA AS TOLL MOUNTS

Terrified residents of northwestern Turkey are packing up and leaving the town
of Duzce, fearful that the second major earthquake to flatten buildings in the
area may not be the last. Efforts continue to find survivors from the quake,
which has killed 452 and injured 3,000. Hundreds of those who called Duzce home
are heading out, fearing new aftershocks: They leave behind exhausted rescuers
searching the rubble of the freezing quake zone into Monday afternoon.

Woman found alive in rubble
.... http://cnn.com/WORLD/europe/9911/15/turkey.quake.02/index.html

> EX-PREMIER SHARIF'S ASSOCIATES PLEAD NOT GUILTY

Four former allies of deposed premier Nawaz Sharif pleaded not guilty Monday to
charges of treason and hijacking. Sharif, who faces the same charges, did not
appear in court. He has been held in army custody since the military overthrew
his government on October 12, and reportedly was transferred to Karachi on
Sunday. The charges carry a death sentence or life in prison upon conviction.

Charges stem from day of coup
.... http://cnn.com/ASIANOW/south/9911/15/pakistan.sharif.01/index.html

.....More World stories at http://cnn.com/WORLD

~~~~~~~~~~~
U.S. NEWS
~~~~~~~~~~~

> U.S., CHINA SIGN WTO PACT

U.S. and Chinese officials signed a market-opening pact Monday paving the way
for China's entry into the World Trade Organization. The pact capped six days
of intense and difficult discussions between U.S. Trade Representative Charlene
Barshefsky and Shi Guangsheng, China's trade minister. Barshefsky talked with
Chinese negotiators for nearly five hours Monday morning, then met Chinese
President Jiang Zemin during the afternoon.

Chinese leaders pushed for deal in weekend talks
.... http://cnn.com/ASIANOW/east/9911/15/china.wto.03/

> FIRST FINDINGS FROM  VOICE RECORDER INCONCLUSIVE

A "preliminary review" of the cockpit voice recorder recovered from EgyptAir
Flight 990 has not proven "one way or another" what caused the flight to crash
over the Atlantic Ocean two weeks ago, according to a Clinton administration
official. Other government sources told CNN that the initial reviews have
uncovered no conclusive evidence of criminal activity in the crash but, they
said, more work needs to be done.

Voice recorder may clear up mysteries
.... http://cnn.com/US/9911/14/egyptair.05/index.html

> JESSE JACKSON LEADS PROTEST MARCH IN ILLINOIS

A standoff over the expulsion of six black students for fighting continued
Sunday as the Rev. Jesse Jackson led a chanting group of some 2,000 people
through the streets of this blue-collar town and threatened to stage mass
arrests unless the dispute ends soon.

Jackson to visit schools Tuesday
.... http://cnn.com/US/9911/14/expelledstudents.ap/index.html

> TWO U.S. AIRCREW KILLED IN PERSIAN GULF CRASH

Two members of a U.S. Navy aircraft crew were killed Sunday when their S-3B
Viking crashed into the Persian Gulf immediately after takeoff. A statement
from the U.S. Naval Forces Central Command in Manama, home to the Navy's Fifth
Fleet, said the aircraft, which was on a routine refueling mission, went down
at 12:30 p.m.

Identities were being withheld
.... http://cnn.com/WORLD/meast/9911/14/bahrain.uscrash.ap/index.html

.....More U.S. stories at http://cnn.com/US

~~~~~~~~~~~
BUSINESS from CNNfn
~~~~~~~~~~~

> WALL STREET IN WAITING GAME

Investors will continue to focus on the economy Monday, one day before the
Federal Reserve's scheduled interest rate policy meeting. The Federal Open
Market Committee is scheduled to meet Tuesday. The Fed left rates unchanged at
its October 5 meeting, but committee members warned they were considering
lifting them again in the near future if inflation appeared to be threatening
economic expansion. In Asia Monday, Hong Kong soared 2.6 percent Monday.

Outlook
.... http://cnnfn.com/1999/11/15/markets/stockswatch/

> GATES OUTLINES VISION OF NET-BASED COMPUTING

Microsoft Corp. Chairman Bill Gates offered a vision of Web-based computing at
the Comdex computer trade show, underscoring the convention's theme of
computing beyond the PC. Addressing a standing-room only crowd late Sunday,
Gates outlined Microsoft 's latest strategy, the "personal Web," under which
consumers will have all their information available online and through a
variety of devices. Among those tools to be offered are several Web-based
appliances centered around Microsoft's MSN Internet service.

PCs still still central
.... http://cnnfn.com/1999/11/15/technology/comdex_gates/

> HYUNDAI WINS $22 BILLION DEAL

The world's largest dynamic random access memory (DRAM) maker Hyundai
Electronics Industries Co. of South Korea said Monday it has won contracts
worth more than $22 billion to supply DRAM chips over the next five years.
Hyundai said in a statement it will supply chips to three to four large
telecommunications equipment makers, naming International Business Machines
Corp., Compaq Computer Corp. and Gateway Inc.

Averts shortage, Hyundai says
.... http://cnnfn.com/1999/11/14/emerging_markets/wires/hyundai_wg/

> HITACHI CUTS FORECAST

Hitachi Ltd. on Monday halved its group net profit forecast for the business
year to next March, under pressure from intense price competition and a strong
yen. The company, which plans to announce a medium-term business strategy on
Friday, now expects consolidated net profit at 35 billion yen ($330 million)
for 1999/00, against a previous estimate of 70 billion yen. Hitachi cited fears
of the Y2K computer bug for poorer than expected sales, along with tough price
competition.

Still set for turnaround
.... http://cnnfn.com/1999/11/15/asia/wires/hitachi_wg/

.....More Business stories at http://cnnfn.com

.....For market numbers see http://CNNfn.com/markets

~~~~~~~~~~~
SPORTS from CNN/SI
~~~~~~~~~~~

> BUFFALO TROUNCES MIAMI 23-3

Doug Flutie threw a touchdown pass to Eric Moulds and Jonathan Linton scored on
a 4-yard run as the Buffalo Bills beat the Miami Dolphins 23-3 Sunday. It was
the Bills' second win over the Dolphins this season. The Bills (7-3) allowed
the Dolphins only 101 yards -- Buffalo's third-best defensive performance in
history, and Miami's second-worst offensive production ever. The Bills
tightened an already close division race, in which four teams are vying for
first place.

Miami coach not happy
.... http://cnnsi.com/football/nfl/news/1999/11/14/dolphins_bills_ap/

> JARRETT SECURES YATES' FIRST WINSTON CUP TITLE

Dale Jarrett clinched the NASCAR Winston Cup championship and Tony Stewart
proved that he is a champion in waiting. Stewart won for the third time in his
rookie season and his second in succession, taking Sunday's Pennzoil 400 at
Homestead-Miami Speedway.

'I apologize to Bobby Labonte'
.... http://cnnsi.com/motorsports/news/1999/11/14/stewart_wins_st/index.html

> LADY VOLS FALL 69-64 TO LOUISIANA TECH

Tamicha Jackson, Betty Lennox and No. 6 Louisiana Tech put an end to
Tennessee's home hex. Jackson scored 21 points and Lennox had 20 as the Lady
Techsters stopped No. 2 Tennessee's 41-game home winning streak Sunday with a
69-64 victory in the Women's Tip-off Classic. The Lady Techsters hung on after
Tennessee rallied from 18 points down in the second half to tie it at 58 with
5:13 to play on a putback by Michelle Snow.

'Strong 1-2 punch'
http://cnnsi.com/basketball/college/news/1999/11/14/latech_tennessee/index.html

> CAMPBELL CLAIMS 1-STROKE JOHNNIE WALKER VICTORY

His four-tournament winning streak over, Tiger Woods marched off the course
Sunday after finishing sixth at the Johnnie Walker Classic. The world's No. 1
golfer wouldn't comment on his play, but the reason for his loss required no
explanation. Woods faltered because of poor putting all week, a near meltdown
Sunday on the front nine and the solid play by winner Michael Campbell.

Tiger tumbles
.... http://cnnsi.com/golf/news/1999/11/14/johnnie_walker_ap/index.html

.....More Sports stories at http://cnnsi.com

.....For scores see http://CNNSI.com/scoreboards

~~~~~~~~~~~
POLITICS from AllPolitics
~~~~~~~~~~~

> FINAL FEDERAL BUDGET DEAL COULD COME THIS WEEK

As the fiscal year enters its seventh week without a federal budget, the White
House and the Republican- led Congress are both indicating a deal could come as
soon as this week on the five spending bills still on the table.

Sticking points remain
.... http://cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/11/14/budget/index.html

> PRESIDENT'S REPORT ON RACE RELATIONS LAGS

After more than a year, President Clinton has yet to deliver his promised
report on the status of race relations in America, and one of the authors of a
working draft cites possible White House concerns that some proposals are too
strongly worded.

'The White House staff is redoubling its efforts'
.... http://cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/11/13/clinton.race.ap/index.html

> ELECTIONEERING PUTS NATION'S PROSPERITY IN SPOTLIGHT

As the 2000 presidential primaries grow closer, it only seems natural that
politicians are taking credit for the nation's long-running economic boom.
President Clinton leads the list.

Deficit reduction cited
.... http://cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/11/13/econ.reality.check/index.html

> CLINTON APPLAUDS WEEK OF 'GOOD PROGRESS' ON BUDGET

President Clinton Saturday welcomed what he called good progress toward a
budget agreement that furthers his priorities in education. He also pledged to
work with Congress to finish the job. "This has been a good week for America,"
Clinton said in his weekly radio address. "We're staying on the path," that has
led to a strong economy and budget surpluses, he said.

Weeks of rancor over education dollars
.... http://cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/11/13/clinton.radio.ap/index.html

.....More Politics stories at http://allpolitics.com

.....Commentary & cartoons at http://CNN.com/ALLPOLITICS/analysis/

~~~~~~~~~~~
SCIENCE and TECHNOLOGY
~~~~~~~~~~~

> GENE THERAPY PERMANENTLY ALTERS RATS, STUDY FINDS

Researchers said Thursday they used gene therapy for the first time to
permanently change a rat's genes: so permanently that the changes were passed
on to the animals' pups and even to a third generation.

The advance was both promising and frightening
.... http://cnn.com/HEALTH/9911/12/health.heart.gene.reut/index.html

> MENTAL HEALTH CARE EXCLUDED FROM NEW HMO POLICY

UnitedHealth Group won wide praise this week when it said it would allow
doctors, not HMO administrators, to have the final say in patient care. It
turns out there are exceptions.

'Mental health is always the poor stepchild'
.... http://cnn.com/HEALTH/9911/12/united.health.doctors.ap/index.html

> MOUNT EVEREST HIGHER THAN THOUGHT

Burdened with oxygen tanks, climbing gear and cameras, Bill Crouse and his
fellow climbers arrived at the top of the world. With the brown, arid plateau
of Tibet stretching to the north and the mountains and green valleys of Nepal
to the south, the climbers spread out their special gear on the snow-covered
summit of Mount Everest. The equipment they assembled would communicate with a
fleet of satellites to help answer a deceptively simple question: How high is
the highest point on Earth?

(Full Story)
.... http://cnn.com/NATURE/9911/12/everest.taller.ap/index.html

.....More Sci-Tech stories at http://cnn.com/TECH

.....What's new in high-tech? See http://CNN.com/TECH/index.html#tomtod

~~~~~~~~~~~
SHOWBIZ
~~~~~~~~~~~

>  FROM BILL MONROE TO DOLLY PARTON, BLUEGRASS HOLDS ITS OWN

Alison Krauss mixes it with folk; Dolly Parton used it to return to her roots
with her latest album, "The Grass Is Blue." But attendees of the recent
International Bluegrass Music Awards in Louisville's Palace Theater don't need
these high-profile country singers to tell them that bluegrass, a country-music
offshoot that traces its origins to before World War II, is cooler than ever.

Hear the sounds of bluegrass
.... http://cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/Music/9911/12/wb.bluegrass/index.html

> HIATT HAPPY AS HOST OF 'SESSIONS AT WEST 54TH'

For music fans too old to care about MTV staples like Britney Spears and 'N
Sync -- or to even know who they are -- "Sessions at West 54th" is a musical
oasis. The PBS series is in its second year of presenting a diverse, intriguing
mix of pop music. For instance, this week's show features saxophonist Branford
Marsalis and Cesaria Evora, a singer from Cape Verde. The radio and music
industry is "pretty much devoted to music for kids from like 9 to 15," said
John Hiatt, the program's new host.

Trying to 'shut up and listen'
.... http://cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/TV/9911/12/west54th.ap/index.html

> ACTRESS-SINGER BRANDY HOSPITALIZED FOR DEHYDRATION

Brandy Norwood, the Grammy-winning singer and star of the sitcom "Moesha," has
been hospitalized for dehydration, a publicist said Friday. Norwood, 20,
entered an unidentified Southern California hospital for treatment Thursday and
was expected to be released over the weekend, said Marcy DeVeaux, a spokeswoman
for Big Ticket Television, which produces "Moesha."

Cause of Brandy's condition unknown
.... http://cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/TV/9911/12/brandy.ap/

> A CONVERSATION WITH SHOWBIZ VET BERNIE BRILLSTEIN

Bernie Brillstein is a show-business original. He's a street-smart, savvy,
self-confessed "fat guy" who looks a little like Santa Claus. He began his
remarkable career in 1955 in the mail room of the William Morris Agency agency
in New York. Over the years he's worked as an agent and television producer.
But most of all, he's known as a personal manager extraordinaire.

Lowe, Maher, Short are among his admirers
.... http://cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/TV/9911/11/brillstein/index.html

.....More Showbiz stories at http://cnn.com/SHOWBIZ

.....Your local U.S. TV listings are at http://CNN.com/SHOWBIZ/TV/