Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1999:
[aclug-L] PPPD Demand Dial

To: "aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] PPPD Demand Dial
From: "Carl B. Davis" <cdavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 15:59:17 -0500

Greetings,

I have a small network with Redhat 6.0 linux server.  The server runs
file and print sharing, email and internet access.  I have pppd starting
with the demand dial option and it worked fine for several weeks.  From
a Win95 client, I would start netscape and a minute later it would be
connected through the server and be off an running.  Last week, though,
it started connecting and staying connected even though there was no
traffic intended for the internet.
I have checked the hosts file and lmhosts file on the clients and on the
server.  I use static assigned ip addresses.  I am running sendmail,
POP3 server with Eudora as the email client.  I have checked  the
/var/log/messages file and see nothing different our out of the ordinary
from when it worked.  I also checked /var/log/maillog and there is
nothing extraordinary there.  There was a returned mail message
yesterday related to incorrect email address, but it bounced and that
should be the end of it.

My problem is I don't know how to find the source of the problem.  There
is some traffic that is heading out to the internet that needs to be
redirected.  How can I find out the source of  traffic.  If I can do
that, maybe I can trouble shoot this issue.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Carl