Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: binary type

To: ALUG <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: binary type
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 12:00:16 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 23 Oct 1999, phrostie wrote:

> is there a way to tell what binary type elf/a.out a program is using.
> i just downloaded an older program.  it installed (script) with out errors,
> but crashes when i try to run it
>
> /usr/bin/siscadp: /usr/siscadp/exe/siscadp: cannot/usr/bin/siscadp:
> /usr/siscadp/exe/siscadp: cannot execute binary file

Is it a shell script?
Is it executable by you?

Re: a.out support, /lib/modules/[[version_here]]/fs/binfmt_* shows
what's compiled as a module; to see if it's compiled in, try running
an a.out format executable, or grep BINFMT_AOUT /usr/src/linux/.config

-jeff
--
Customer:     "I'm running Windows 95."
Tech Support: "Yes..."