Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: need info..

To: "aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: need info..
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 06:16:58 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Michael Holmes wrote:

> 1) how do you force the hard drive to defrag.  I erased all that
> junk and it still has not reached the count from booting up to
> defrag and force check, and I do not intend on hitting the button
> to make it force.

"There is no need to defrag a drive in Linux, with the ext2
filesystem".  The filesystem defrags itself, with activity.  Now,
having said that, there's a version 0.2 or so program off Ted T'so's
web page at MIT called "ext2defrag" or something similar.  It comes
with STRONG DIRE warnings about data loss and such.  The point is, you
shouldn't need it unless you really think that you know the sectors
and inodes better than the filesystem does.

> 2) my disk of suse 6.2, has bad sectors in it, linux nor dos will
> read it.  When the computer boots from it, it just seeks and seeks
> and does little else.

Yup, sounds like one I just went through. Boot from another disk and
salvage what you can :)
If you still want to try using the drive (after salvaging any info),
reformat the drive (checking for bad blocks) and recreate the
filesystem.  I wouldn't use it for anything important though :)

-jeff
--
Alien: Everyone who has mastered intergalactic space travel raise
       your hand ...