Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] IRC server problems..

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] IRC server problems..
From: Dale W Hodge <dwh@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 10:11:40 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Jonathan Hall wrote:

> Uhh... what good is that going to do?
> You want us each to talk to ourselves and no one else?
>
> By the way, from where *I* sit at home, the IRC server at 127.0.0.1 is up
> 24/7.
>
> However, at work, 127.0.0.1 never has an IRC server running.

Patrick, what Jon is cryptically trying to say is that the address
127.0.0.1 is the loopback address of your local machine.  Every machine
connected to ethernet has that address as it does not route over the
network.  For us to be able to use IRC we would need to know your internet
address assigned you by your ISP.  An easier choice is to simply join the
#aclug channel on irc.debian.org.  This a permanent channel set aside for
ACLUG use.

   __   _
 / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  . . .  t h e   c h o i c e   o f   a