Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] sound & modem config

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] sound & modem config
From: "Greg House" <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 20:45:35 -0500

>Also, I've been able to set up ppp using KDE's kppp utility.  I can connect
>my ISP by running kppp as root, but when I do this as a normal user kppp
>responds: "Sorry, can't open modem".  How do I grant permission to the
normal
>user to establish a ppp connection?

RH sets up several things wrong for kppp to work from a user account. Pull
up kppp config util and hit the help button and it'll detail what you need.

As I remember, from doing this on a friend's system a few weeks ago, you had
to change the protection on the /dev/ttySn device for the modem to allow
user access, remove the lock line from /etc/ppp/options (I think that's the
filename, when you get to the problem it'll tell you what the filename
is...), and add the suid bit to both kppp & pppd. There might have been one
or two other minor things, but reading that help document & doing it only
took about 15 minutes, so I guarantee it's nothing too tough.

Greg