Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] How to mount a tape drive?

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] How to mount a tape drive?
From: Thomas Wallis <wallis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 08:20:07 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Kong Wo wrote:

> Hi,
>     I have a SCSI tape drive which is detected on /dev/st0. What I like
> to do is try to mount the tape drive to /root/tape directory.
> I tried to mount it so many times using #mount -t ext2 /dev/st0
> /root/tape, however; is was unsucessfully. I like to know what is the
> magic string which allow me to mount the tape drive since I like to back
> up my whole system. Thank for any helps. Currently, I am using RedHat
> 6.0.
>
> Kong Wo

        Dear Kong:

        You can use tools like dump/restore, tar, or cpio to do backups to
tape.  As far as I know, mounting the tape under LINUX is not possible (to
put a filesystem on it random access, at least).  Some other systems allow
this for certain tape technologies, but it probably doesn't work under
LINUX.

        see the man pages for dump, restore, etc. for more details.
You may need to install these packages from your CDROM if they are not
on your system disk.

                        Hope this helps,

                        Tom Wallis

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed here are my own and not those of WSU.

EMAIL address:  wallis@xxxxxxxxxxx    wallis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx