Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1999:
[aclug-L] x-window causes lock up

To: ACLUG <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] x-window causes lock up
From: R Bowers <bowers@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 08:30:05 -0500

I have AMD-6 350mhz, 64meg of memory and 8 gig hd.
pnp - video, network card,

I have installed mandrake, single cd, several times since the last
meeting. When working in kde or gnome the system freezes. At first I
thought the problem was hardware. I have switched the main board and
memory module, no success. Also, when the system freezes it crashes the
/usr partition. Then upon reboot fsck will not run, nor can I run it
from terminal mode.

The system runs fine in console mode.

This is the same system I was going to take to demo day, and I don't
want it behaving like a windoze machine :)

Question:

Could it be the Video card?

What steps can I take to solve this problem?

TIA,
Rod Bowers