Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] [debian] Upgrading outside package system

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] [debian] Upgrading outside package system
From: Carl D Cravens <raven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 13:56:53 +0000 (GMT)

On 15 Aug 1999, John Goerzen wrote:

> Did you use the apt method?  If so, this shouldn't have happened
> (knock on wood).  There have been some point releases to address bugs
> or security issues; these *may* have addressed that.

Yes, I did.  I may have used the version of apt that came with slink.

> This will not work with such a Perl upgrade, actually.  All the Perl
> modules that include C code have to be recompiled to go from 5.003 or
> 5.004 to 5.005.  This is a part of the difficulty with the upgrade.

Well, when I said "grab", I meant the source code.  I was used to that
at SouthWind.

> Potato will actually allow you to have two versions of Perl on your
> system at once.  Those programs that function with both will work with
> either one; thost that require 5.005 will depend on it.  Quite a nice
> system, I think.

I dislike the idea, but I'd live with it if necessary.  (I hated having
to keep two versions of perl at SouthWind, but we couldn't get rid of
perl4.)

> I do recommend that you not upgrade your libc6 at this time.
> Essentially, you have to upgrade your *entire* system to potato if you
> do.

I told you it sounded like a bad idea. :)

> My best advice is to install your newer version entirely in
> /usr/local.  This will keep it separate from the "official" version

I think that's what I'll end up doing if I need the newer version.  I
have a bunch of stuff in /usr/local/lib/perl, but realized that Debian
didn't put it there... my wife did.

--
Carl (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)