Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1999:
[aclug-L] how to drop netscape authentication

To: kulua-l@xxxxxxxxx, aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] how to drop netscape authentication
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 11:04:41 -0500 (CDT)

Good morning, y'all :)

Thought I'd probe the minds here before plowing through netscape's
*cough* documentation *cough*

I'm using apache's .htaccess authorization to restrict access to
certain places ... some require just a valid user, other's certain
groups.

Works all fine & good.

For testing, though, I'd like to be able to try certain things as mere
mortal users, and others as a priviledged user.  Trouble is, once you
authenticate, netscape keeps that around.  Right now I'm having to
quit netscape & load it back up in order to switch.

Anyone know
1) if it's possible to switch $REMOTE_USER without quitting netscape
2) and if so, how to

Thanks; I'll post the answer if & when I find it, or if I find it's
simply not possible.

-jeff
--
"There is this special biologist word we use for 'stable'. It is 'dead'."
--Jack Cohen