Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1999:
RE: [aclug-L] I saw someone talking about a clone for ms office.

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [aclug-L] I saw someone talking about a clone for ms office.
From: "David Carmichael" <dec29111@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 20:14:09 -0500

Its called 'StarOffice' and the current version is 5.1 and it takes about
5ive hours to download.. but it will read and save files in Office'97 file
format.

http://www.stardivision.com

They have 'personal' versions for a number of operating systems, MAC OS,
Windows, Linux, BE OS and a few others.

It took me close to 20 hours to get the file 'TAR' downloaded due to dropped
carriers three times with less than five minutes left to go before I made
the full download!

You can order a CD-ROM for $40.00

I had been trying to get 'WordPerfect 8 Linux Personal Edition' to run on my
system but could not find a working printer driver for my Canon BJC4400
printer. While StarOffice worked with the base Red Hat installed printer
driver printing in full color the first try.

David E Carmichael