Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: June 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Four questions....

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Four questions....
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 16:34:40 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Patrick Klee wrote:

> How do I compile the Kernal?

Compiling the kernel is easy; configuring it takes some decision-making.
Look at /usr/doc/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO for a good explanation (and/or recent
kernel config programs have 'help' buttons).

> How do I edit the script to activate my PnP Sound Blaster 16 card?

Any text editor. There's instructions inside the isapnp.conf file that
gets generated.

> How do I make a username other than root and keep my password?

adduser name-you-want

look at /etc/passwd (or etc/shadow) and copy the password you have
for root to the new one. (or use passwd name-you-want to set it).

-jeff
--
Human beings were created by water to transport it uphill.