Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] netscape

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] netscape
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 20:29:44 -0500

You can send any process a SIGKILL signal to make it die. Type:

kill -KILL <pid>   or
kill -9 <pid>

SIGKILL is one of two signals that a process can not ignore or catch
and process differently than default. Therefore it will kill anything.

On Fri, May 21, 1999 at 08:22:13AM -0500, phrostie wrote:
> everyonce in a great while my netscape goes runaway.
>
> it locks up, then won't die.
>
> i run top to get the PID
>
> then do kill "PID#"
>
> but it won't die.
>
> it does not happen very often,
>
> but i would like to know how to kill it,
>
> with out rebooting.
>
> --
> phrostie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Oh I've slipped the surly bonds of dos
> and danced the skies on LINUX silvered wings.
> http://www.cottagesoft.com/~phrostie/cad-tastrafy

Steven Saner                            SouthWind Internet Access, Inc.
ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                    Junior Systems Administrator
http://www2.southwind.net/~ssaner       support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                        http://www.southwind.net
                                        263-7963 Wichita  (800)525-7963