Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 1999:
[aclug-L] Debian 2.0 to 2.1 Upgrade

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Debian 2.0 to 2.1 Upgrade
From: Dale W Hodge <dwh@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 10:56:28 -0500 (CDT)

I just finished a weekend in hell upgrading from Debian 2.0 to 2.1. I
thought I'd share a few things I learned along the way that may be helpful
to others.

1) Go online and read the the upgrade page at www.debian.org.  The upgrade
process listed on the CD's leaves out a few important details.

2)The new version of ipmasq applies rule sets that can potentially break
your networking.  I spent most of two days getting reconnected to the
internet and getting the services on my lan working again.  Come to find
out, the rule set in the new ipmaq is overly restrictive and perhaps even
slightly broken. It writes the forwarding/masquerading rules by interface
and is supposed to update when the ppp connection comes up.  It did not.
It took the longest time to figure this out. I kept getting either no
packets flowing out the ppp connection, or operation not permitted when I
tried to ping an external host. Since I'd had everyting working before the
upgrade, it took a while to occur to me that ipmasq was the cause of the
problem. It also broke dhcp services.  The rule set won't allow MS clients
to talk to the dhcp server.

3)IMAP services have changed.  I can no longer browse outside my local
~/mail directory.  Somewhere there is a configuration file I have yet to
find.

Overall I found myself quite frustrated with this upgrade, it almost worse
than upgrading Windows!  I still have several programs that refuse to
install correctly. And attempting to upgrade to use the 2.2.x series
kernel didn't go well either.  I'm going to try building the specific
tools that are broken rather than trying to use 'potato' packages as
suggested.  There are way too many interdependancies that come up that
way.

Sory for my ranting.  This just ticks me off...

 Dale W Hodge  dwh@xxxxxxxx, dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxx
 Web Page: www.sktc.net/~dwh, www.dnd.ddns.org
   __   _
 / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  . . .  t h e   c h o i c e   o f   a