Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 1999:
[aclug-L] Linux Demo Day

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Linux Demo Day
From: "Clint A. Brubakken" <cabrubak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 09:58:02 -0500

Sounds interesting, since we do this all the time, maybe we should
participate

http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/~mjrauhal/linux/cola.archive/1999-05/mjr.1999-05-14.000
--
Clint Brubakken
Computer Science Services Group, LLC
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 19:52:41 GMT
From: deepak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Deepak Saxena)
Subject: Linux Demo Day Project - www.linuxdemo.org
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce
        /SjoRyp28wQ=
        =rxCd

This is an official announcement and call for participation for the
Linux Demo Day project (www.linuxdemo.org).  The goal of this project is
to coordinate a worldwide demonstration of Linux for the thousands of
people who have heard of Linux due to the recent media coverage it's gotten,
but have _never seen Linux in action_.  In addition, the demonstrations
will also help spread the word about Linux to the even larger number of
users who are not even aware that there is an alternative to using a
Microsoft product on their PC.

The basic idea behind this project is for LUGs to go into schools, shopping
malls, computer stores, or where ever they can/want to get permission, and
setup demonstration of Linux.  Show off GIMP, GNOME, KDE, Applix, Q3, Civ,
Applixware, StarOffice, WordPerfect, and the many other applications that
allow you to  replace your Windows desktop with a Linux box.  In addition,
the participants would handout info pamphlets about Linux and possibly
give out free CDs and other Linux stuff.

Currently this project is just a crazy idea that I have, but
hopefully there are enough other Linux nuts out there that we can pull
this off.  We need all sorts of help.  Writers to write/translate
pamphlets, a logo for our pamphlets and t-shirts, a few people to help
with the web site, etc, etc.  Most importantly, we need LUGs to participate
in the project by going out and setting up demos.

The date for the demo day is somwhere betweeen Sept. 12-19th.  The
reason is because according to Linus[1], this is when kernel 0.01
was released, so what better way to celebrate the Linux's bday than
to expose it to more people?

Please join the mailing list if you have any ideas or just want to find
out more about the project. To join, mail linuxdemo-request@xxxxxxxxxxx
with 'subscribe' in the message body.

For more background on my motivation for this project, see
http://www.linuxdemo.org/about.shtml

I will be at Linux Expo next week and would love to get together
with any Linux users who don't think I'm completely insane and want
to discuss ideas for the project.

The web page, like the project, is just starting up, so please drop
me a note if you have problems with it.

- - Deepak Saxena

[1] http://www.unix-wizards.com/linux-history.html

- --
deepak@xxxxxxxxxxx -- ICQ: 17774863
Home: (480)446-0903 Work: (480)554-9339

One Day - One World - One Operating System - An Army of Geeks
LinuxDemo Day '99 - http://www.linuxdemo.org

- --
http://www.iki.fi/mjr/cola-public-key.asc has PGP key for validating signature.
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: linux-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx