Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Kernel ques.

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Kernel ques.
From: "Greg House" <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 15:26:10 -0500

John Goerzen wrote:

>If you downloaded a kernel from Debian, you may have downloaded a
>.deb.  This .deb will not work on RedHat.  However, in general, a
>kernel will work everywhere.  It's just that when it comes
>specially-packaged in a .deb or a .rpm, it will only work on the
>distribution for which it was intended.

Generally speaking, but a new kernel also has other things that depend on it
and may be required to run.  For example, when putting a 2.2 kernel on a
Redhat 5.2 system, there are some updated things (like init) which you have
to install or some things may not run.  We had a system at work that
wouldn't boot with a 2.2 kernel when it didn't have the updated parts.

RH 6.0 comes with a 2.2.5 kernel, that's pretty close to current.  Unless
you want bleeding edge stuff, the kernel that comes with it will probably
make you happy.

Greg