Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 1999:
[aclug-L] NFS install

To: "Air Capital Linux Users Group" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] NFS install
From: "Troy Wolf" <troy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 10:41:58 -0500

I cannot get NFS install to work.
I had this same problem with RH, and now Debian.
I have no problem setting up nfs and mounting remote volumes on existing Linux machines, but mounting my known working nfs servers in the boot process fails everytime for me.  I've got to be doing something wrong.  I say this because I assume if nfs install didn't work, the authors would remove the option from the software and documentation.

I configured the network using the option to do so on the Debian rescue-install disk.  This caused the options 'nfs' to appear in the install kernel and modules step.  But when I direct it to my nfs server, it immediately responds with an nfs error.

Also, how do I know that the network card is getting inititalized properly?  The rescue-install disk asked all the necessary questions except what kind of card I have--how do I know it installed the correct driver? (NE2000 ISA in my case).  Perhaps in this case, the card isn't working right so that's why I can't find the nfs server.  However, I know RH's install configured the card correctly, yet nfs install fails there too (I had to ftp install instead).  (I know this box and network card work well--I just wiped a working RH install to put Debian on instead.)

hmmm.. Troy Wolf