Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Video Card Support

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <scarabea@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Video Card Support
From: "Greg House" <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 20:38:45 -0500

Gary,

I tried to set a Linux system up with that same card awhile back and had no
end of trouble.  I did finally get it to work at 640x480 8bpp, no
acceleration.  After much reading, it appears that the support mentioned in
XFree86 3.3.3.1 is incomplete.  After much frustration getting XF86 to work
with the A50, I finally traded it to Jeff Hansen for a Matrox Millennia
(PCI) which worked flawlessly the first time.

I also had the problem you mentioned with the white block for the mouse
curser.  I think that adding either noaccel or nohwcurser to XF86Config
eliminated that.  On the XFree86 website there are documents under the
specific version that give additional tips, also take a search through
comp.os.linux.* with DejaNews, since there were some tips there.  Most were
older (I was trying this in Jan/Feb and most of the posts there were from
October 98 or earlier.

Good luck!
Greg