Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Kernel Question

To: "aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Kernel Question
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 06:44:30 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Isaias Izquierdo wrote:

> However, trying to install the bttv driver for my tv card (which meets
> the requirements) I get this output. Will you please let me know how to
> solve it?
>
>  make
> (cd driver; make)
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/isaias/bttv/driver'
> DIR=`pwd`; (cd /usr/src/linux; make SUBDIRS=$DIR modules)
> make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.36'
>
> The present kernel configuration has modules disabled.
> Type 'make config' and enable loadable module support.
> Then build a kernel with module support enabled.
>
> make[2]: *** [modules] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.36'
> make[1]: *** [here] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/isaias/bttv/driver'
> make: *** [bttv] Error 2

[ Redhat instructions follow; debian probably _similar_ ]

su
<password>
cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig
Move down to "Loadable Module Support"
  Enable Loadable Modules
Check that all the other options are OK
Save & Exit
make dep; make clean
make zImage
make modules
make modules_install
cp arch/i386/boot/zImage /boot/zImage.[DATE]
cd /etc
vi lilo.conf
  add a section like:
-------------
image=/boot/zImage.[DATE]
        label=tryme
        root=/dev/hda5
        read-only
RUN LILO: /sbin/lilo
reboot

done!
-jeff
----
...at the chess-board we cannot go beyond it nor do we want to.  We
have got our chessmen and we know their every value, and movement and
power, so it is up to us to make the moves which we hope will give us
victory. ... yet all the time, just as in life, we have to face problems.