Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Which partition number on Jaz disks?

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Which partition number on Jaz disks?
From: Bob Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 22:45:36 +0000

"Bates, Rod" wrote:

> Jaz disks come preformatted with partition 4 as the
> only partition (a DOS partition).  When I set them up
> with an e2fs partition,   is there any Linux convention
> about what partition number to use?
>
> Deciding this early can be important, because it gets
> into /etc/fstab, and consistency will save lots of time.
> Changing it after disks
> have data on them is  impossible/hard/risky.
>
> Rodney Bates

Ah yes... The reason to use fdisk....  Partition types are as follows...

Command (m for help): l

 0  Empty            9  AIX bootable    75  PC/IX           b7  BSDI
fs
 1  DOS 12-bit FAT   a  OS/2 Boot Manag 80  Old MINIX       b8  BSDI
swap
 2  XENIX root       b  Win95 FAT32     81  Linux/MINIX     c7
Syrinx
 3  XENIX usr       40  Venix 80286     82  Linux swap      db
CP/M
 4  DOS 16-bit <32M 51  Novell?         83  Linux native    e1  DOS
access
 5  Extended        52  Microport       93  Amoeba          e3  DOS
R/O
 6  DOS 16-bit >=32 63  GNU HURD        94  Amoeba BBT      f2  DOS
secondary
 7  OS/2 HPFS       64  Novell Netware  a5  BSD/386         ff
BBT
 8  AIX             65  Novell Netware

Be careful as this list is not universal...  Solaris partitions are 82,
which can get confusing if you try and install with a linux system
already running...

-= bob =-