Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] null modem cable??

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] null modem cable??
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 27 Mar 1999 22:39:48 -0600

Michael Holmes <maholmes@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> does anybody know the connections for a null modem cable?  Using 2 DB9
> connectors.  I thought only pins 2 & 3 needed to be reversed, (Trans rec.)
> but I did something wrong.  I am connecting a laptop to a desktop.  And if
> I am using comm3, how do I configure LINUX to read it as a terminal.

The Serial-HOWTO has some information on that.

As a terminal, you mean you want to be able to log on to it over
serial (sorta like you use telnet over ethernet)?  If so, go to
/etc/inittab and add:

S2:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS2 115200

replacing 115200 with whatever speed you are running the port at.