Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
[aclug-L] Linux Beats Microsoft

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Linux Beats Microsoft
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 24 Mar 1999 17:51:18 -0600

Check out this CNN article:

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9903/24/mslinux.html/

It contains some *very* interesting material, including an amazing
piece by Microsoft on Linux, and an analysis of Microsoft VP Ed Muth's
comments: "It's a difficult business model to make work.  It's one of
those things that the marketplace will decide."

Then, they go on to analyze that comment, saying, "The marketplace has
already decided" and proceed to demonstrate how Microsoft is losing
out to Linux in numerous sectors.

They also talk about the trouble with making Windows run on 64-bit
processors.  MS appears to be having a very tough time with it.  On
the other hand, Linux has been running on 64-bit processors for years
now.  Then there is the fragmentation of the Windows operating system
(interesting timing, considering our discussion here) and how this can
spell doom.

All in all, a very good article, I believe.

-- John