Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] what is "Caught signal 11"?

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] what is "Caught signal 11"?
From: Bob Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 14:36:45 +0000

J M Wagle wrote:

> I am running redhat 5.0 with netscape communicator 4.5.
>
> periodically i get the error message (in /var/log/Xerrors file) "Caught
> signal 11. Server aborting".  this error message would not bother me except
> that it is aaccompanied with an X window 'crash'.

Sig 11 is a memory access violation.

They can be caused by a number of things, but they are mostly due to
programmer errors.

Sometimes they are caused by running out of virtual memory space on your
machine, so be sure you have enough swap space for the programs you are
running.  But in this case, other programs would be crashing too, not
just your x server.

Sometimes this is caused by corrupted executables, and sometimes it's
due to some physical memory access problem...

I'd look for the latest version of your X server of choice, upgrade or
replace your current server and see if that helps.

Also make sure you have swap space....

-= Bob =-