Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] ping

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] ping
From: Nate Bargmann <ka0rny@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 22:21:51 -0600

phrostie wrote:

> what is supposed to happen when i do ping 192.168.1.2(the other
> machine)
> i get     PING 192.168.1.1(192.168.1.1) 56 data bytes
>
> then nothing until i CTRL C
>
> then     27 packets transmitted, 0 packets recieved, 100% packet loss
>
> i think this is what's called bating zero.
>
> how do i test what's happening?

Not stupid at all.  One of the first tests to try when putting a new
machine on a network is ping.  First off, ping didn't complain about an
unknown host, so the computer you're running ping on knows about the
destination machine, the one you're pinging.  That's good.

In my limited experience, I can think of two problems as to why it isn't
working.  First, the other machine doesn't know about the machine you're
pinging from or doesn't know a network route back to it.  If other
network services work between the two machines, it may be that machine 2
has ping responses disabled in some way or is behind a firewall.

Beyond that, I'm not much help.  I do know ping has a switch, -i that
you can use to tell ping to try every so many seconds, e.g.

ping -i 15 host2

will send a ping packet every 15 seconds.  This is useful for amateur
radio networks (like I'm used to) where network latencies are much
higher than found on wired networks.

- Nate >>

--

 Packet   | N0NB @ WF0A.#SCKS.KS.USA.NOAM       | "The more you