Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Virtual Private Networks

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Virtual Private Networks
From: Bob Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 09:48:00 -0600

Jeremy Johnstone wrote:

> I have what do you need to know?

Could not find any "how-to's" on the subject... But this is what we are
trying to do.

We have internet connectivity, they do to.

We need to communicate between our two networks the least expensive way
possible, but we need fairly high bandwidth for multiple users.

We also need security...  Don't want to open our internal networks to
the internet, So, we thought that setting up a VPN, using an encrypted
link would be just the thing.

If we opened up the firewalls to allow a specific IP connection between
two hosts, package up IP traffic, encrypt it and pass it back and forth
between the two hosts we would be in busniess...

The questions are then fairly simple:
1.  What can you use to package up IP traffic and send it down a single
IP pipe (Just like PPP does down serial pipes...Hmmm might work you
know.)  Basicly we need a demon to run our new network device, and route
the proper packets to it.
2.  What can you use to do compression and encryption on the data as it
leaves and arrives on each end..

The firewall and network setup stuff, we have fairly well in hand.  We
would like to avoid using any of the specialized VPN hardware arround.
I think we should be able to do fairly high bandwidth with a small linux
box doing the pack/unpack and encrypt/decrypt functions.