Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: June 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] trying to recompile linux

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] trying to recompile linux
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 16 Jun 1998 20:16:48 -0500

Cheez-Czar <cabrubak@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> ok its been about a month since we talked about this and I need a little
> more help then whats on the webpage.
>
> First, I noticed in the menu that certain thing which i'm sure are working
> are not listed as being selected: ie ppp and scsi support.

Are you sure you're booting the kernel you compiled?  Ie, what does
uname -a show?

> second I am trying to set up my soundcard. I click enter and it wants me
> to put in the irq value (7 is the default) i enter the number (5) and
> press enter (or tab to ok and press enter same result) it says invalid
> entry and doesn't change from the default. However if I just hit enter and
> try to continue with 7 it gives me the same error.
>
> I have 2.0.34 which I patched from 2.0.30, (d/l all the incremental
> pathces and running the patch-kernal scripts. (which kept asking what file
> I wanted to patch)

It sounds like the patch didn't work successfully.  I don't know what
the patch-kernel scripts do (I always just apply them manually).
Also, if you are using the kernel-source package from a distribution
such as Debian or RedHat, you can't apply the patches from 2.0.34 --
you must download the pristine sources from ftp.kernel.org.  The
reason is that RedHat has made some modifications and Debian includes
some things in their 2.0.33 image that were not in the upstream
version (fat32 support for instance) but are present in 34.  These
things will keep the patch from working.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |