Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 1998:
[aclug-L] Re: Offline newsgroup reader and timer

To: David Stites <dstites@xxxxxxx>
Cc: Wayne Pascoe <wpascoe@xxxxxxxxxx>, aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx, "linux-newbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <linux-newbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Offline newsgroup reader and timer
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 07 May 1998 19:16:10 -0500

David Stites <dstites@xxxxxxx> writes:

> Netscape is the closest to Agent that I have found sofar. Let me know if
> you come up with anythig better. Netscape is online only but since I
> installed a news server on my machine and automagiclly download the new
> articles while I am asleep I don't care.

Are you using the program called "suck" to do this?

Some newsreaders available:
 * tin, traditional semi-modern reader.
 * slrn -- sleek, fast, modern reader (text mode)
 * knews -- GUI reader, not a lot of features
 * GNUS -- part of XEmacs.  The post powerful reader I've ever seen
           (although slrn starts to rival it).  Learning curve is
           a bit steep though.

> > The first of these is some sort of timer
> > that will tell me how long I've been
> > online and possibly my throughput.

If you are using diald, dctrl will tell you this.  Otherwise, you can
find programs like trafshow that can show network utilization.

--
John Goerzen        Linux, Unix programming           jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |