Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: announce: February 2002:
[announce] webdev project

To: announce@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [announce] webdev project
From: Tom Hull <thull@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 15:07:07 -0600

We are organizing a project team to take over and further develop ACLUG's
website. I'm the "chairman" of this project team, and I'd like to invite
anyone who has a serious interest in community website development to join
in and help out. In particular, we need:

 * programmers (sql, script languages)
 * graphic designers
 * content developers and editors
 * picky, demanding users (to test)
 * server colocation and system administration

The first step is to do some brainstorming on content and functionality,
and draw up a requirements list (RFC). The second step is to do a
technology assessment and decide how to implement the requirements.
Then implement, test, review, repeat.

My preliminary requirements list includes:

 * user/member database, per-user workspaces, user tracking by cookie,
   users can add feedback to virtually all pages
 * calendar/news
 * topical directories as framework for user reviews/ratings (e.g.,
   software projects, books, Linux-friendly businesses)
 * FAQ front-end and thin framework for linking to Linux documentation
 * frameworks for developing tutorials and presentations
 * community interests (job board, classified ads, auctions?)
 * ability to distribute site responsibilities

Please add to this list, refine it, dispute it, whatever.

As I understand it, you can join the ACLUG web development mailing list
by sending a message to listar@xxxxxxxxx with subject:

  subscribe webdev

This list is open, unmoderated, and publicly archived. Announcements
will also be made to other mailing lists on a timely basis. Please
address any comments/suggestions to myself (address below) or to the
webdev list.

--
/*
 *  Tom Hull * thull at kscable.com * http://www.tomhull.com/