Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: announce: November 2000:
[announce] ACLUG Meeting: Monday, Nov 20: Emacs & Vi

To: <announce@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [announce] ACLUG Meeting: Monday, Nov 20: Emacs & Vi
From: "Info" <info@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 13:31:06 -0600

             Air Capital Linux Users Group of Wichita, KS
                          http://www.aclug.org/

Event Summary
-------------
http://www.aclug.org/events/

 * Monday, Nov 20, 2000 - Emacs & Vi
 * Monday, Dec 4, 2000 - CVS (Concurrent Versions System)
 * Saturday, Dec 9, 2000 - Linux Demo @ Saturday Sale
 * Monday, Dec 18, 2000 - Introduction to Programming (Tentative)

Contact:  info@xxxxxxxxx

Meeting
Location: 7:00/7:30 PM in 260 Jabara Hall at Wichita State (details below)
          This event is free and open to the public.  Please forward this
          message to anyone you feel may be interested in attending.

In This Bulletin
----------------

 * Aclug Meeting Details

 * Saturday Sale Details

 * Other Business:

 * Meeting schedule

 * Contacts, Background information on ACLUG, and miscellaneous

Aclug Meeting: Monday, Nov 20, 2000 - Emacs & Vi

Tonight's meeting will cover Emacs and Vi, the most widely installed text
editors in the Unix world.  We will overview the navigation and command syntax,
then demonstrate the actual use of both editors.

Tom Wallis will tonight's speaker.

Aclug Meeting: Monday, Dec 4, 2000 - CVS

This meeting will cover CVS - the Concurrent Versions System.

CVS is a version control system, which allows you to keep old versions of files
(usually source code), keep a log of who, when, and why changes occurred, etc.
Unlike the simpler systems, CVS does not just operate on one file at a time or
one directory at a time, but operates on hierarchical collections of directories
consisting of version controlled files. CVS helps to manage releases and to
control the concurrent editing of source files among  multiple authors. CVS
allows triggers to enable/log/control various operations and works well over a
wide area network.

cvs keeps a single copy of the master sources.  This copy is called the source
'repository'; it contains all the information to permit extracting previous
software releases at any time based on either a symbolic revision tag, or a date
in the past.

James Violette will be the guest speaker for this meeting.

Linux Demo @ Saturday Sale: Saturday, Dec 9, 9AM - 3PM

The ACLUG Staff is continuing to Demo Linux at the Saturday Sale, which is held
on the second Saturday of each month. We will be educating people on why they
should consider Linux as an alternative to Windows 9x and Windows 2000. As
always, we will have copies of various distributions available for $5 per CD.

Please consider dropping by and lending your support at the Demo.

Aclug Meeting: Monday Dec 18 - Intro to Programming

The topic for this meeting is tentatively scheduled to cover an introduction to
programming.

Other Business
--------------

If you have suggestions for a future Workshop, or a topic for a future meeting,
please feel free to send your suggestions to info@xxxxxxxxx

Meeting Schedule
----------------

Meetings are typically held every other Monday at 7:00/7:30pm in 260 Jabara Hall
on the campus of Wichita State University.  A sign will be posted outside Room
260 in the event that we need to meet elsewhere. Details on the event schedule
and upcoming events can be found at http://www.aclug.org/events/; maps can be
found at http://www.aclug.org/maps/.

7:00PM to 7:30PM is reserved for open discussion. 7:30PM to 7:45PM we will cover
old and new business, and make announcements of upcoming ACLUG events.

Our regular presentation will begin after the announcements, at approximately
7:45. Of course, if you can make it at 7, you're encouraged to stay for the
whole program.  You are welcome to arrive at either 7 or 7:30.

Further details will be posted to the aclug-announce mailing list; you can
subscribe for free at http://www.aclug.org/mailinglists/.

About the Air Capital Linux Users Group
---------------------------------------

ACLUG was created in early 1998 as a group to help people discover better ways
to take advantage of modern computing through the use of Linux.  All ACLUG
events are free; we have hosted many free Linux installation events, during
which Linux was installed on dozens of computers for no charge.  We would like
to show the benefits of Unix operating systems such as Linux to as many people
as possible.  ACLUG members range from people just starting out with computers
and Linux to those that have written parts of the Linux system or are doing
computer research under the Linux platform.

ACLUG would like to show you the benefits of Linux for home and business use.
Feel free to attend one of our meetings or ask questions about Linux at
help@xxxxxxxxx.  You may also examine the archives of previous discussions on
Announcements for upcoming ACLUG meetings and events will always be sent first
to the aclug-announce mailing lists.