Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: announce: July 1999:
ACLUG Vice-Pres Wanted

To: aclug-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: ACLUG Vice-Pres Wanted
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 06 Jul 1999 22:30:33 -0500

Dear friends,

Please forgive the long message -- this is a topic that is very
important for me; I care a lot about ACLUG and want to make sure that
its future remains as pleasant as its past.  I am nearing some
potentially significant changes in my life, and due to my close
involvement with ACLUG, this means some potentially significant
changes with ACLUG as well.

I am writing today to seek people that might want to step into a sort
of vice-president position in the Air Capital Linux Users Group.  The
person (or people) selected would essentially need to be able to
organize meetings, the web site, etc.

I will hopefully have more details by the time our July 12 meeting
arrives, and these can be discussed there.

The current situation is this: I may be relocating to a different
state in the somewhat near future.  Nothing yet is definate; however,
I would like to have people in place ready to take over my ACLUG
responsibilities should that prove necessary.  This is a great group
we have here -- I dare say one of the most helpful, dedicated, and
friendly groups of people around -- and it is my desire that it
continue, with or without my personal involvement as ACLUG president.

Therefore, the idea is to have someone that, while perhaps not taking
any drastic steps immediately, would be willing to take over as ACLUG
president should the need arise.  Also it is possible that the current
duties could be divided between several people.  Additionally, even if
I do not relocate out of state, it is good to know that there would be
people able to fill in for me in the event of some emergency; it's a
good idea to not have a single point of failure in any organization :-)

For those that might be interested in the position, here's what you'd
need to do:

 * Plan and schedule meetings
 * Arrange for speakers and meeting places
 + Keep the web site current
 * Post posters
 * Handle administrative details
 * Work with WSU-ACM regarding financial matters
 * General promotion of ACLUG events, Linux, etc.
 * Other things that I've forgotten to mention :-)

Finally, as a note, I am willing to continue doing those things I can
from a distance: web site updating, mailing list hosting, and perhaps
even some weekend activities when I may be back in town, even if I am
no longer living in Kansas.

So, if you would be willing to take on some of these duties should it
become necessary, or if you know someone else that would, please let
me know at your earliest convenience.

Thanks,

John Goerzen
President, Air Capital Linux Users Group