Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: announce: September 1998:
ACLUG upcoming meetings and news

To: aclug-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: ACLUG upcoming meetings and news
From: John Goerzen ACLUG <aclug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 12 Sep 1998 03:11:59 -0500

         --== Air Capital Linux Users Group of Wichita, KS ==--
                          http://www.aclug.org/

Monday, September 21, 1998: Commanding Linux     http://www.aclug.org/events/
Contact: John Goerzen <aclug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Location: 7:00/7:30 PM in Jabara Hall at Wichita State (details below)
          This event is free and open to the public.  Please forward this
          message to anyone you feel may be interested in attending.

IN THIS MESSAGE
===============

 * Commanding Linux (ACLUG meeting September 21)
 * ACLUG and local Linux news, new ACLUG online services
 * Upcoming ACLUG meetings on October 5 and 19, and plans for them
 * Meeting format reminder
 * Location information and links to maps
 * Contacts, Background information on ACLUG, and miscellaneous

COMMANDING LINUX
================

Modern Linux often isolates the user from the command-line interface.
A lot of people are afraid of the command-line, or maybe simply feel
that it is outdated.  We aim to show you what the command line can do
-- it's power, and how easy it really is to use.  We'll also cover a
bit on how the command line can compliment a GUI if you are generally
more comfortable in a graphical environment.  Tentatively scheduled to
be covered are:

 * Intro to the command line
 * Filesystem layout (FHS), how to find files, and why files live
   where they do.
 * Basic config file editing and intro to some of the config files
 * Command-line or text-based tools like FTP, telnet, lynx, and the
   like
 * Visual editors used in a text-based interface.

This will provide a needed background for our future meeting on
networking.

ACLUG AND LOCAL LINUX NEWS

The ACLUG lists should now deliver mail about 4 times faster than
previously.  An all new Web-based archive is now online, and will be
searchable soon.  You can take a look at current and all past
discussions for both ACLUG-L and ACLUG-ANNOUNCE at the new
complete.org archive site:

Topics that have been discussed in detail include sound, PPP
configuration, free software rationale and ethics, and more.  It's a
great way to see if somebody else may have already gotten an answer to
a question you have, and you can get a feel for the many different
people that make up the group.

There is some redesigning that will take place on the ACLUG website
soon, too.  Some of the outdated things will be removed and new
information will be added, particularly relating to connecting to the
Internet with Linux.  Stay tuned.

FUTURE ACLUG MEETINGS
=====================

We will be meeting on the 5th and 19th of October in addition to the
21st of September.  We'll of course continue meeting every other
Monday after that.  The agenda is tentatively set at:

October 5:
 * Networking with an emphasis on smaller or personal networks.
   We have talked about networking before, but we'll take a different
   approach and cover different things this time.
 * How IP masquerading (aka Network Address Translation, NAT, or
   sometimes VPN) works, its benefits, pitfalls, and how to use
   it in Linux.
 * How to integrate Linux into a Windows network and Windows into
   a Linux network.
 * Basic security precautions.
 * Mail server setup.  It has also been only half-jokingly suggested
   that we ought to rename this to "why you should be glad you do
   not run complete.org" <grin>

We'll try to have as many live demonstrations as constraints of
equipment and time permit.

October 19:
 * Graphical user interfaces under Linux: KDE, Gnome, fvwm2,
   Enlightenment, and the new Window Maker.  A brief review of
   the differences between them and who would benefit the most
   from each one in particular.
 * Linux distributions comparison and discussion.  Which
   distribution is right for which people and *why*.  Why Debian
   and RedHat are currently the most popular, and the future
   direction of the distributions.
 * A brief coverage of the legal issues surrounding the
   controversial KDE/Qt issue, and a brief discussion of what
   this does to the future of KDE.
 * Brief coverage of legal issues at play in the distributions.

No agenda is yet set past October 19.

MEETING FORMAT REMINDER
=======================

Due to the free install and skipping the Labor Day meeting, it's been
a while since our last meeting and we introduced a new format just
prior.  Just FYI, here's a recap from a previous announcement:

  Beginning on our August 10th meeting, we'll have a new format.
  One issue that has been somewhat troublesome is making presentations
  interesting and useful for people with a wide range of Linux
  experiences.  We want our meetings to be useful for as many people as
  possible, so our plan is this: For those of you that are starting out
  with Linux, or just interested in what Linux can do, please feel free
  to join us at 7:00 PM on each meeting date (every other Monday).
  We'll go over some Linux basics, have some Q&A, or give a bit of
  preparatory explanation before the evening's presentation -- whatever
  you would like.

  Our regular presentation will begin at 7:30 as it always has.  Off
  course, if you can make it at 7, you're encouraged to stay for the
  whole program.  You are welcome to arrive at either 7 or 7:30.

LOCATION & MAPS
===============

We will hold the this event in the Computer Science Department in
Jabara Hall on the main east campus of Wichita State University.
ACLUG has assembled some driving instructions on the Web at
http://www.aclug.org/maps/.  We will be located on the second floor of
Jabara Hall.  We expect to be in room 260, but we'll be sure to post
signs if we need to relocate elsewhere.  You'll be able to find a sign
on the wall in front of the 2nd floor elevator when you arrive.

MISCELLANEOUS

About the Air Capital Linux Users Group
---------------------------------------

ACLUG was created in early 1998 as a group to help people discover
better ways to take advantage of modern computing through the use of
Linux.  All ACLUG events are free; we have hosted two free Linux
installation events, during which Linux was installed on dozens of
computers for no charge.  We would like to show the benefits of Unix
operating systems such as Linux to as many people as possible.  ACLUG
members range from people just starting out with computers and Linux
to those that have written parts of the Linux system or are doing
computer research under the Linux platform.

About Linux
-----------
Linux is a modern, fully 32- and 64-bit operating system that runs on
a wide variety of hardware.  Its most popular use is on PC-style
hardware, where Linux can completely replace Windows 95, Windows 98,
or NT.  Linux sports astounding reliability, power, flexibility,
scalibility, and networking.  Linux is the most popular OS for
Internet servers, beating NT.  Linux also works on less-expensive
computers than NT.

Linux is developed by a worldwide team of programmers: individuals,
companies, and universities using the Internet.  All source code is
available, allowing peer review -- which is important for an operating
system.

ACLUG would like to show you the benefits of Linux for home and
business use.  Feel free to attend one of our meetings or ask
questions about Linux at aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx.

A FINAL NOTE

"Capital" in our name is spelled with two A's.  If you're searching
for information about ACLUG, you have to get that right.

Happy Linuxing!

John Goerzen
Air Capital Linux Users Group

--