Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: announce: June 1998:
ACLUG news & events

To: aclug-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: ACLUG news & events
From: John Goerzen ACLUG <aclug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 09 Jun 1998 12:30:48 -0500

  [[ Air Capitol Linux Users Group    http://www.aclug.org ]]

Hello everyone,

Here are a few tidbits of ACLUG and Linux news for you.

First, thanks to Clint Brubakken <cabrubak@xxxxxxxxxxx> for typing up
the meeting notes from last Thursday.  You can find them at:

http://happy.cs.twsu.edu/aclug/arch/1998/aclug-L/0016.html

(cut and paste works well for that URL!)

There's a lot of good info in there -- everything from KDE to Linux
filesystem permissions.

You can also subscribe to the aclug-L list to automatically receive
things like that.  Instructions are at http://www.aclug.org/mailinglists.

You can mark your calendars for Thursday, June 18 for our next
meeting.  We'll plan to meet at 7:30 PM at Jabara Hall on the campus
of Wichita State again.  I don't yet know which room we'll be in;
we've got plans to convert room 205 that we've been meeting in to a
Linux lab.  I'll post signs on the second floor so you can find us.

Some other notes...

The release of Debian 2.0 is going to occur sometime within the next
few weeks if everything goes according to schedule.  At that time,
we'd like to hold an "Install/Upgrade fest" event.  People that need
Linux installed can bring in their computers and we'll install it for
them.  Those that already have Linux installed but would like the new
version can bring in their computers and we'll upgrade them.  And of
course, it will be free.  I do not yet know when this would be -- we
need to wait for the new release to come out -- so stay tuned; I'll be
announcing it here.  If it falls in the summer, we'll probably do
another one in the fall.

Kernel 2.0.34 is out; details are at http://www.linuxhq.com and
http://www.aclug.org/news as usual.  This kernel features a number of
performance increases, some new features, and some bug fixes.

I am making some good progress with the online Linux showcase.  Stay
tuned; hopefully I'll have something of release quality within 1-2
weeks.  FYI, the online Linux showcase highlights the best Linux apps,
with links to download, plus screenshots.  It will be present on the
ACLUG homesite and its mirrors.

Thanks,
John Goerzen

--
John Goerzen                              Southwind Internet Access, Inc.
E-mail: Business, jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; Personal, jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx

--
This is the Air Capitol Linux Users Group announcements list. Subscribe and