Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: announce: May 1998:
Upcoming ACLUG event -- May 21

To: aclug-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Upcoming ACLUG event -- May 21
From: John Goerzen of ACLUG <aclug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 01 May 1998 00:18:23 -0500

that has been posted to ict.events as well.

 From the Air Capitol Linux Users Group; http://www.aclug.org

Hello everyone!

First off, mark your calendars for Thursday, May 21 at 7:30 -- we will
be having another ACLUG meeting at that time.  I do not know 100% sure
yet, but it looks likely that we will still be able to use Jabara Hall
at WSU over the summer (yay!)  I will keep everyone posted with
location details through the aclug-announce list, the ACLUG website at
www.aclug.org, and the ict.events group.

I am tentatively planning on having the following things scheduled for
that evening:

 * Linux kernel compilation.  If you want to take advantage of sound,
   new features, etc. you will need to compile your kernel yourself.
   It's not hard, but it is a lot easier if you can watch someone else
   compile one first.

 * Linux showcase.  Many of you got Linux installed at our previous
   free Linux installation events, but you may not know just what you
   have available to you as a Linux user.  Or, you may be wondering
   what Linux has to offer.  The answer is: a LOT -- everything from
   office suites, professional-quality image editors, and web servers
   to C compilers, powerful editors, and a vast array of online help.
   There will be at least one, and hopefully more, computers loaded
   with all the latest and greatest Linux apps for demonstration.
   And, of course, you'll get a chance to sit down at a Linux machine
   and try it out yourself.  What meeting would be complete without
   a chance to morph a picture of Bill Gates into a centipede?
   <grin>

If time allows, some other possible things are a Q&A session, X
configuration, etc.

Also, Debian 2.0 is on the brink of being released and RedHat 5.1 will
be coming out later this summer.  If either of these is out by the
time of our meeting, we can go over the new features and the upgrade
procedures as time permits.

In other news -- there are a LOT of exciting and important events
taking place in the Linux community.  Big-name media outlets like the
Boston Globe, CNN, InfoWorld, PC Week, etc. are giving favorable
reviews of Linux.  The ACLUG home page has links to all the latest
Linux news at http://www.aclug.org/news or
http://happy.cs.twsu.edu/aclug/news.

As always, your comments would be appreciated.

ABOUT ACLUG
-----------

The Air Capitol Linux Users Group is an informal organization
dedicated to spreading Linux and helping people in the community make
the best possible use of the powerful Linux operating system.  More
information can be found at our homepage:

 * http://www.aclug.org
 * http://happy.cs.twsu.edu/aclug

(Both sites contain identical information; depending on your Internet
connection, one or the other may be faster for you.)

THANKS
------

To the Computer Science Dept. at WSU for letting us use the
facilities.  The CS dept. has a very large Linux installation so it is
perfect for ACLUG.

--
John Goerzen        Linux, Unix programming           jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |