Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Project goals

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Project goals
From: saywhat@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 10:43:12 -0600

"Daniel Markstedt" <markstedt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 7/5/06, Per Inge Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 4 Jul 2006, saywhat@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> So for Freeciv, I propose limiting the default number of cities Arbitrarily limiting the number of cities will turn players away from the

I agree that the virtually limitless expanse of late game empires (a
result of rampant expansion combined with the conquering of neighbors)
makes actually playing a game to the end a chore.
So I've been thinking of another way of altering the way expansion
works: changing the nature of the settler. The idea is to remove
settlers as buildable units. You get a batch of them from the
beginning, after which you must reach certain objectives to get access
to more.

That sounds like it would be worth trying.
  I once tried altering the cost of a settler to 9999 shields
(in the ruleset file).  What happened?  The AI refused to use any
of its precious initial settlers to found a city. :-)
An objective could for example be reaching total population
of X, at least X cities of size X, having a certain improvement in at
least X cities, defeated X enemy units, made contact with X civs,
having a total of X wonders, having X tiles within your borders etc
etc. All ruleset controlled of course. Should be easy to implement
with LUA.

  Sounds good.  How about adding a separate set of conditions
(at higher values) to serve as "end of game" (or victory)
conditions? -Eddie