Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: new unit flags, 13th version of the patch (PR#1324)

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: new unit flags, 13th version of the patch (PR#1324)
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 17:27:05 +0200

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 01:41:04PM -0700, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Aug 2002 rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > I don't see the difference. At the time you resolve the triggers you
> > can also really kill the player.
>
> That is what is done.
>
> The reason for the triggers code is that I am sure things like this will
> pop up again and again in the future, and instead of adding more hacks
> like "zombie players" or add funky stuff like
>
> (server/unittools.c:1825:)
>
>         if (iter && ((struct unit*)ITERATOR_PTR((*iter))) == pcargo) {
>           freelog(LOG_DEBUG, "iterating over %s in wipe_unit_safe",
>                   unit_name(pcargo->type));
>           ITERATOR_NEXT((*iter));
>         }
>
> to the code, it can be resolved in a clean way.

Why isn't cleaning this stuff an option?

> > About the generalisation: server-side scripting is bad.
>
> I am uncertain about the merits of server-side scripting, but I am not
> willing to dismiss it out of hand without any arguments.
>
> > Can you describe (not in code) what you want to achieve with ruleset
> > events?
>
> Have you ever looked at more complex civ2 scenarios/modpacks? Civ2 has an
> events ruleset, which is one of the reasons very good scenarios/modpacks
> can be built for it.
>
> There is a lot that can be achieved with an events ruleset:
>  - move huts in there (so that they can be changed by modpacks)
>  - a tutorial can be written in it (see civ2's "tutorial.txt")
>  - events can be done there (again, modpacks), like
>    - when you start the game, you get a popup box telling you the story
>      behind your nation
>    - in year 50, the nasty aliens begin their invasion and arrive on the
>      planet
>    - new victory conditions (capture the flag/capital)
>    - floods, earthquakes, ... all the civ1 stuff
>    - if the Gandalf Gray unit dies, create Gandalf White unit in Moria
>    - if you manage to move the One Ring unit into the Dark Tower, you win
> etc etc
>
> What form the events ruleset should take, I don't know yet. I tried to
> drawn up one after doing the triggers code, but I wasn't really satisfied
> with it, or I would already have a patch for you *g*
>
> I think embedding python to do this might be an idea worth considering.
> Since events rulesets would be optional, so would python.

I see. However note as a maintainer we have enough open patches
already. And if you have time for this you don't have enought patches
assigned to you ;)

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "That's fundamental game play!  My main enemy is *ALWAYS* fighting