Re: [Freeciv-Dev] split?

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] split?
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 00:40:59 +0200

On Wed, May 19, 1999 at 04:13:41PM +0100, Jules Bean wrote:
> Reinier Post wrote:

> > Only in 8 bits can I run the 2000x1500 resolution that is convenient
> > for big Freeciv games.
>
> This doesn't make sense.
>
> You don't need your display to be in 24-bit to use 24-bit graphics.  We
> are simply suggesting that the graphics be *stored* as 24-bit, on the
> disk, and use imlib to draw them in whatever bitdepth, including 8-bit.

(You can tell I know very little about graphics.)  If this will produce
acceptable 8-bit colours without too much overhead, the only problem
is the dependence on imlib.  One of Freeciv's strengths is the fact that
it runs on practically every system with X and requires very little
disk space, memory, or processor power.  Does the same hold for imlib?

--
Reinier