Re: [Freeciv-Dev] split?

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] split?
From: Daniel Sjolie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 16:35:03 +0200

On 1999-05-19 15:54:49, Reinier Post wrote:
> > > Yes and no.  To be able to do that quantization you have to load the 24bit
> > > gfx anyway and that uses up precious memory space if you happen to be
> > > running freeciv on an old X-Terminal.  Or something like that.
>
> Like, just about any Sun workstation.
>
> More importantly, it takes away plenty of Freeciv tiles!
> Only in 8 bits can I run the 2000x1500 resolution that is convenient
> for big Freeciv games.

Mmm...

> > *grumble*
> >
> > There seem to be two goals that freeciv tries to reach...
> > * being a portable game that can be played everywhere...
> > * being a great game including graphics and so on to increase the feeling...
> >
> > Maybe we should consider a split?
> >
> > Maybe we could have one client with Xaw and 64 colors and another with
> > gtk, 24bit color, sound, animations, threads and whatever we feel like
> > trying...
>
> *shudder*  For a moment I thought you were considering another split,
> besides having two clients.  If the clients split nothing much will be
> lost, or will it?

Well, nothing will be lost...
Nothing will get worse than it is now...
But with the added client AI and servants features on the client side
one client might lag behind the other...

Hmm...
Consider the difference between GUI and client...
I'm not sure how to do this but consider this:
It would be nice to have a development client that does not have to care
about all that stuff, the 'real' client could then take what it can from
this one... We should keep in mind to keep the non-GUI client compatible
enough so that the 'real' client could use new features from this one
with a 'lighter' GUI but it shouldn't be a must...

Really:
What I want to do is to write a new client using the freeciv server...
We would take as much code as possible from the present client and we
would take some effort to make it possible to use the new code in the
old client but this would in many ways be a new project...
I don't want to destroy anything old but I want freedom to add new
stuff...

Well, I don't know if that was what I wanted at first but it seems to me
to be the best way to do things right now...
That is - the new client would not really aim at being the standard
client... Not really... A standard but not the...

Well, I'm rambling...
Don't take me too serious - I hope I got some points through...

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)