Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: March 2009:
Re: Use case for offlineimap

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Use case for offlineimap
From: Mariano Mara <mariano.mara@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 13:29:06 -0200

On 02.03.09 19:16, luzer poor wrote:
> Hi,
> I want some feedback from you guys (tell me if I can do the following hassle
> free using offlineimap)
> My requirements are as follows:
>
> I want to migrate emails tagged with labels m1, m2 and d67 from
> abc@xxxxxxxxx to xyz@xxxxxxxxx.

Gmail provides the capability to migrate emails from one account to the
other although it seems it cannot discriminate based on the label.

Although I think you can do what you need with offlineimap, if it was my
problem, I would do the following:

1- setup two email accounts with IMAP: one for abc and the other for xyz
using your preferred email client (I use mutt but I uploaded 4 gigas of
local email to a gmail account using Thunderbird and none of them was
lost so I can recommend Thunderbird for this).
2- for maximum efficiency don't let it keep a local copy of your emails.
3- select all the mails from the folders you need (a.k.a. labels) in abc
and place them in xyz account within the email client.
4- gmail will copy emails in a batch mode (400 aprox. every 30
minutes) so keep your email client open and let it finish.
5- you can monitor the migration status logging into xyz web mail and
checking how many are there.

If somebody knows how to migrate from one gmail account to other using
labels that would be better that what I described here.

Mariano