Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: April 2003:
Re: offlineimap / uw-imapd / mutt

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: offlineimap / uw-imapd / mutt
From: Andrew Cowie <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 21 Apr 2003 11:33:35 +1000

On Mon, 2003-04-21 at 02:53, John Goerzen wrote:

> My recommendation is to avoid UW-IMAPd.  Others have reported this problem
> before.

The trouble with a recommendation like that is that many people *can't*
avoid whatever their upstream mail server is.

I don't control the server I receive my mail on. There are many servers
I *do* control, but it just so happens that I've outsourced my primary
MX machine to ensure that it's located in a good datacenter and it's
maintenance is taken care of. Their service is great, but they seem to
use UW-IMAPd. There's nothing I can do about that, short of finding a
new ISP.

I had the same response from the evolution developers. "Use courier".
Fine, but especially in a corporate environment, one usually doesn't
have control of the upstream server.

Unfortunately UW-IMAPd  installations are deeply rooted. Sort of leaves
me (and many others) stuck. Kind of a bummer seeing as how it is the
reference implementation of IMAP and all that.

Offlineimap is awesome (I constantly tell the evolution developers I use
offlineimap in preference to their built in IMAP code because their
offline foldering  doesn't ever work). Hope you continue to work on it.

Cheers,

Andrew

--
Andrew Frederick Cowie
Operational Dynamics Consulting Pty Ltd

Australia +61 2 9977 6866  North America +1 646 270 5376

andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx