Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: August 2002:
Re: OfflineIMAP gives DELETE warnings for filtered-out folders.

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: OfflineIMAP gives DELETE warnings for filtered-out folders.
From: Jeff Squyres <jsquyres@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 19:34:14 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Martijn Pieters wrote:

> > up the separate accounts in the first place?  Maybe we can fix that problem
> > instead.
>
> Speed. The archives are huge (one has 22000+ messages), and including
> these folders in the sync significantly slow down my regular mail sync.
> The archives don't recive mail outside of me moving files to them
> manually, which doesn't happen often. I run the Archives account once a
> day from a cron job.

Hear hear -- (btw, thanks for all the great work on offlineimap!).

I have a very similar situation.  Some folders are huge and are ok to only
synchronize occasionally.  Other folders are smaller and much more
frequntly used (e.g., INBOX).

Additionally, I have a *large* number of folders (400+ -- spread across a
directory tree structure, so there's actually a good number of
directories, each containing a fairly small number of mail folders).
Would there be any way to have an explicit list of folders rather than
have offlineimap try to scan for all available folders every time?  This
scan really eats bandwidth and takes a long time when I start up
offlineimap (particularly when I'm trapped by dialup modem speeds -- the
initial scan takes 10-20 minutes).

I realize that this has the drawback of me having to update my .rc file
whenever I add a new folder, but I'm willing to live with that.

{+} Jeff Squyres
{+} jsquyres@xxxxxxxxxx
{+} Research Associate, Open Systems Lab, Indiana University
{+} http://www.osl.iu.edu/