Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: hpcomm: June 2000:
Re: cannot install latest version of Kit

To: Wolfgang Rautenberg <raut@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: hpcomm@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: cannot install latest version of Kit
From: Irl_W_Smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 16:16:20 -0400

Wolfgang--
"Should be" only applies to Macintoshes. PC's are SUPPOSED to be hard to use.
Sorry, bad joke.
I suggest the following:
1. Delete the folder "C:\Program Files\Hewlett Packard\PC Connectivity Kit" (for
"C", substitute your system drive letter if it's not "C").
2. Download the complete version of HPComm 30.0r3 from
<ftp://ftp.hpcomm.org/pub/hpcomm/HPComm-30r3.zip>
and put it in a folder ("HPDownload"), anywhere you like. This step is necessary
because of issuew with libraries.
3. UnZIP the file; it's fine to let it put the files in the same folder
"HPDownload".
4. Run the Setup program from HPDownload. It will want to put the PC
Connectivity Kit in a specific place on your system drive; allow it to do so.
5. REMOVE the HPComm.exe from the PC Connectivity Kit folder and store it
somewhere else in case you need it later.
6. Download the latest beta version from
<ftp://ftp.hpcomm.org/pub/HPComm-3.0r4b2.exe>.
This is the executable alone, with no Setup or libraries. Put it into HPDownload
if you wish.
7. Copy HPComm-3.0r4b2.exe to the "PC Connectivity Kit". You may have to
slightly change the name because it has too many periods in it--make it, say,
"HPComm-30r4b2.exe"
8. The installer in Step 4 will have put a shortcut into your Start menu. If you
try to use it, Windows will probably tell you that the original item has been
moved and the closest substitute is "HPComm-30r4b2.exe"; accept. If it does not
do this, you should manually delete the old shortcut and make a new one.
I hope this fixes your problem; if it doesn't, you should send a more detailed
complaint and one of the experts will pick it up, I hope. I'm not one.

Irl Smith

Wolfgang Rautenberg <raut@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on 06/07/2000 13:06:58